Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Conceptual Framework of Assessment

 HI! Today I read the article " A Conceptual Framework for Classroom Authentic Assessment. " This article was about a teacher named Paul Nelson who was very surprised about how many of his student's did not understand the essay question on one of his tests. Most of the student's had put the answer that summer is warmer than winter due to the fact that the earth is closer to the sun. Paul Nelson then showed the student's that their answers were not in fact true and that summers are hotter than winters because of the angle of the earth and the sun. Paul Nelson was shocked because he thought that his student's understand the concept but he was wrong based on the essay responses. Paul Nelson realized that he needed to find a better way to teach the concept and that he should ask more questions when teaching. After reading about this, it made me realize that when I become a teacher, I should ask more questions while I am teaching in order to see if my students are understanding what they are being taught and if they aren't, then I will have to figure out a new teaching approach. 

Learning is trying out things more than one times and when you receive feedback, you are then able to fix what needs to be fixed in order to be successful. I really liked the example that the article gave such as driving a car. When I went to drivers ed, I would be taught on how to do something and if I did it wrong, the instructor would tell me how to fix it and then I would try multiple times to get it right. It is important to give feedback because if there is no feedback given, then how does someone like you or a child know if they are successful or not? If a person is not given feedback then they will never understand the right way or answer. 

After reading this article I also learned that Diagnostic Assessments are important. Diagnostic Assessments are important because they allow me as a teacher to determine what each of my students know and what they don't know, along with what I have to teach. Formative Assessments is when a teacher provides positive feedback and Summative Assessments are assessments that contain questions within a test that "summarize" what was just taught during a unit plan or lesson.  

When creating assessments, I learned that they should be teacher friendly, student friendly, parent friendly, and system friendly.  





 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 13 is about Geography!

  Geography is a very important topic to teach to students.  While learning geography, students will learn about the surface of earth and ph...